Tuesday, September 6, 2011

3 1/2 months, 48 pounds

Hello all! Long time no post. Just a quick update to say that I am now down 48 pounds in 3 1/2 months. I dropped from size 40 jeans to size 36, from XL shirts to L, and a confidence level from a 5 to a 9! The best part is, I did it all while eating what I want and exercising none. The plan is to begin exercising now that I'm ready to start building some muscle and working my heart out - probably doing something simple like running. I ran one day about 2 weeks ago but a slight medical issue (trust me, you don't want to know) has kept me from doing much anything physical for the past week and a half.

Despite my success, here's what I keep hearing and reading that makes my blood boil...
  • Comment: You shouldn't eat [insert delicious food here] because the sodium content is high!
    Rebuttal: 48 pounds, 3 1/2 months - plenty of sodium
  • Comment: You shouldn't drink diet soda!  Artificial sweeteners make you fat!  Didn't you read that article??
    Rebuttal: 48 pounds, 3 1/2 months - Drink Diet Dr Pepper by the 2 liter.
  • Comment: You should eat breakfast, it gets your metabolism going!
    Rebuttal: I keep my calories down throughout the day so I can eat like a king when I get home from work.  I skip breakfast and have a lunch of about 400 calories or less on most days
    Side note: Since when did everyone become a doctor?  Stop giving medical/health/weight loss advice if you don't know what you're talking about - and if you've ever said this, you clearly don't.
  • Comment: Stop eating fast food!
    Rebuttal: Okay, I get this one.  Fast food is mostly horrible.  You can make a double turkey burger that weighs a pound more than a McDonald's double cheeseburger for just a few more calories.  A medium order of fries from McDonald's (or almost any other fast food chain, or sit down for that matter) is over 500 calories.  HOWEVER, it's bogus because you can absolutely eat fast food on a diet.  At McDonald's, opt for chicken McNuggets and a small fry.  At KFC, get grilled chicken, cole slaw, and mashed potatoes.  At Subway, get a 6 inch chicken teriyaki with veggies and baked Lay's chips (meal under 600 calories!).  At Chipotle Mexican Grill, ditch the tortilla and go for a bowl.  That alone will save you 200 calories (or more?).  If you really want to drop the pounds, skip the sour cream and cheese too.

Every time I try a counter point, people are stuck in their ways.  They are right, I'm wrong.  Despite the fact that I lost ... well ... 48 pounds in 3 1/2 months, people still refuse to listen.  People have preconceived notions about diets and weight loss and they are unwilling to listen.

Happy trails and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment